Latin America in 2003 in half a dozen economic factoids
This year's defining economic factoids, courtesy of the United Nations Economic Comission for Latin America, via the often perceptive Financial Times:
- LatAm is exporting... $41 bn trade surplus (its first in 50 years!)
- ... -thanks in part to high commodity prices- ... Overall commodity prices rose 15.9 per cent
- ... and it's actually fiscally conservative! Most countries are running primary fiscal surpluses.
- Nonetheless, income per capita is low...: Below 1997 levels
- ...and it shows... More than 10 per cent overall unemployment rate.
- ...pretty bad. Almost 45 per cent of Latin Americans live below the poverty line.